28 October 2013

lou reed

today (well technically yesterday) i was over watching my bandmates record shit and whatever (it was actually really fun, but that's not what this is about) and i went upstairs when we were done and my sister is there and she goes "oh, lou reed died, rolling stone just posted it." i stood there like an idiot with my mouth open, not moving, and when i could finally form words i said "WHAT THE FUCK you have to warn me before you tell me shit like that."

you guys. lou reed. he died. i'm so sad.

his solo stuff, for me, ranges from pretty great to meh. but the velvet underground? now that's a horse of a different color. there are velvet underground songs that still, even after listening to them a million plus times, give me goddamn goosebumps. i'm looking at you, "pale blue eyes" and "sunday morning." and "heroin." (ALRIGHT a majority of the songs have that effect on me.) i've never done heroin and have no plans to ever start that shit, but i feel like listening to that song is kind of like doing the drug itself. so my australian that i had a giant crush on before he ever even talked to me and then he did but only right before he moved back to australia, and then he died before i ever saw him again? that guy? so we were hanging out the day he left and he had bought this live velvet cd when he was at my record store the night before and put it on so he could play a song for me. what song was it? it was "heroin." and he blasted it so fucking loud. and to this day i can't hear it without crying. or at least trying not to cry. but usually i'm listening to it at home by myself laying on the floor and crying. lame, i know, but whatever, you probably do shit like that too.

lou has a very soothing voice. it's like an old friend that you just want to listen to them talk about whatever, you don't even care, you just want to hear them talking. that's his voice for me.

if it wasn't for lou reed nothing that i love would even exist. try to imagine what music would be like if it wasn't for those guys doing their thing in new york in the late 60s. JUST TRY. you don't even know. fucking crazy.

there really isn't much else for me to say about this. i'm sad. that is all. here is what rat scabies posted on facebook about it and is pretty much the best thing i read about him all day:

I'm sad about the loss of Lou Reed, I never met him but always admired his independent take it or leave it attitude. 
Without him, there would not of been a guiding light for us snotty kids to follow. 
He was the proof that it wasn't about being anything other than yourself and you didn't need to play guitar like a member of a prog rock band to get your message and emotions across. 

Take it or leave it... RIP

bye lou. we miss you already.

No comments:

Post a Comment