03 November 2013

the dickies

i said somewhere on here before that i was going to see the dickies at the brighton bar on november 1. i took off of work, had the whole thing planned out, etc. and then i woke up that morning in pain. and the pain was so bad that i kept barfing. lovely. aren't you glad you're reading this?  i shook it off (ie, took a vicodin and then barfed about ten minutes later) and went and took care of the dogs i walk but it was clear that something was definitely wrong. i had to call out of my other job because i was in so much pain i couldn't do anything anymore. so this thing used to happen to me years ago and at one point it was so bad i had to go to the emergency room. they ran a bunch of tests and basically told me nothing is wrong with me. awesome. it just feels like raccoons are eating my intestines for no reason. i slept for a few hours but then i couldn't sleep through it anymore and i knew at that point that i was not going to be able to drag my ass to the brighton. i was sad. and in barfy pain. it was terrible.

today i woke up and wasn't feeling the pain anymore but it felt like someone had been punching my stomach all night. i went to work and decided to go see the dickies in west chester tonight. people kept telling me to take it easy, just go home and rest, blah blah blah. that is not me. i don't go home and rest. and also i felt fine. the pain thing attacks with no rhyme or reason, so why bother trying to work around it when i never know if it'll happen or not? i might feel fine for a year before it hits me again. so i went! i did "take it easy" in my own way, which just meant no drinking and no dancing. easy peasy. the note in west chester is considerably closer than the brighton bar so that was kind of nice. but it was a weird place.

i saw my friends there that i see at all the shows i go to, and they were at the show last night and said it was KILLER. which is great, but also made me feel worse about missing it. oh well. at one point we were standing together and my friend goes, "oh did you meet stan?" pointing to stan lee. the guitarist for the dickies. who i had seen sitting near where i was standing but was too shy to talk to.
UM NO.
"stan, this is my friend chloe. let me get a picture of you two together."
so stan lee put his arm around me and we got a picture together and then he was looking at the buttons on my jacket.
"what's that say, the vibrators?"
YEAH!
"oh did they play around here?"
so i said "yeah, they were here earlier this month."
and he was like "yeah, we do a song on their new record."
OH MY GOD YES I LOVE THAT SONG. (they're on whips n furs) (also i wrote about this before)
then he was telling me how he was just messing around and not really trying but they recorded it and that was the take that they used. ha! pretty neat. i said that the whole record is great, and he said he agrees, and he really likes the one chris spedding plays. he was so nice! then he was sitting with some other people, my friend left to go watch the band that was playing, and eventually stan came back over to me and said "did you come here by yourself?" so i said yes, and he said "come sit with us!" so i did. he asked me how far away i live, so i said it took about an hour to get there, and he said i'm really brave to do that alone. i never even thought of it that way. it was sweet. then i told him about the only other time i'd seen the dickies, when they did the fiend fest with the damned and the misfits, and he said he remembered that tour, and that it was "ok." haha. i asked him about touring and stuff, then for some reason we started talking about facebook and twitter. he says he understands facebook but not twitter. i asked him if he has twitter on his phone, and he said yes, and it's an iphone which is what i have, so i knew what i was doing. i showed him how twitter works, kinda, and tried to explain it which is difficult because twitter is actually kind of pointless in a way. i was in his "connect" section because i had just retweeted something of his about the brighton show so he went to my profile and followed me. and he was like "does your phone tell you that just happened?" and i pulled my phone out and it says "slee9383 is now following you!" we both laughed and marveled at technology. so, i taught stan lee about twitter. pretty fun stuff. when the band finished, he went up to get ready because they were on next.

aside from a rather rough start (leonard couldn't hear or something, there was feedback coming out of the monitors...he was a very unhappy camper from the looks of it) they sounded great. like, oh my god. fucking great. a while ago, i was at work one day, and i was in a shitty mood for some reason or another. and there was a copy of the incredible shrinking dickies in the back so i put it on. because nothing makes me happy quite like the dickies. when ''curb job" came on, that fucking squeaky toy part, holy shit i couldn't stop smiling. that is the power of the dickies. so it was kind of the perfect show to see after fending off death the entire day before.

i don't remember the exact order of the songs they played or every single song they did, but they did: killer klowns; manny moe and jack; poodle party [with the dog puppet]; paranoid [YESSSSSSSSSSSS]; rondo (the midgets revenge); waterslide [with the blow up doll hahahahaha]; i'm stan; gigantor; attack of the mole men; if stuart could talk [can we talk about how fucking hilarious the penis puppet is? i mean for real, that shit does not get old]; banana splits; going homo; and you drive me ape (you big gorilla) which i think was the first dickies song i ever heard and made me fall in love with them, so yay for that.

i didn't get any pictures :( i was back too far and didn't want to get too close because they were getting rowdy up front and i was feeling frail, remember?  and every time i would raise up my phone the guy in front of me did the same so i just stopped trying. whatever. sorry. i have the picture of me and stan though!


this is the longest east coast tour they've done in a while so you should try to catch them before it ends. if i can make it work i might go to baltimore on tuesday to see them at the sidebar (where i saw the vibrators, awwww) and they're in bordentown on thursday BUT cherie currie (yes for real) is at the brighton bar that same night. so who knows. but i would love to see the dickies again before they go back to the west coast for another five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment