08 November 2013

dickies (again) plus a psa

today was difficult in a very first world problem kind of way. i had been planning on seeing cherie currie at the brighton bar tonight for some time now. but the dickies were playing in bordentown tonight too. WHAT IS A GIRL TO DO???? well, i decided to see the dickies again. why?
1- because i've listened to them more than i've ever listened to the runaways
2- the amount of joy that dickies songs bring me is unparalleled
3- bordentown is a hell of a lot closer than long branch
4- stan lee put me on the guest list, and free is better than paying money, duh

there was a meet and greet at randy now's man cave before the show. i left work super early today to go to that. i walked in and saw stan almost immediately and he hugged me and was glad that i made it. and then leonard started to walk past us, and stan told him to hang on a minute and introduced me to him. he said "this is the good chloe."
this is news to me. i'm the good chloe! the good one. i felt pretty special.
leonard goes, "ah the good chloe. nice to meet you. put 'er there." and he shook my hand.
i don't think i said anything, just smiled like an idiot, and he walked away. oh that leonard. the one thing i would have said if my brain didn't drop out of my head at that moment? "i love your dance moves." that's it. that's all i wanted to say to him. and i blew it. oh well.
anyway, so me and stan talked a little bit. he thought i was crazy for wanting to come to the meet and greet and then go to the brighton for cherie because that was what i was thinking about maybe doing, to get the best of both worlds. maybe i am crazy, but i didn't do it so whatever. anyway, he was trying to get me to stay for the show and said "if i put you on the list would that change your mind?"
"uh...probably."
and he walked off to find whoever he had to tell to put me down. so the roadie guy came over to me with his notebook and wrote my name down. they both seemed to find it amusing that i share my last name with the first name of a well known penis puppet. which is pretty hilarious, i will admit.

the show was great. the opening bands were good. (one of them was absolutely insane, and stan loved them but was afraid they'd been upstaged by those guys, which is silly. i mean, HELLO YOU'RE THE FUCKING DICKIES. it'll be fine.) so yeah. the set list was mostly the same as the other time i saw them, same leonard jokes, same silly antics, etc. but no less fun than the last time. seriously, if you haven't seen them yet, you fucked up. i smiled the entire time they were playing. my face kind of hurts now. they're just so much fun, and the songs are funny and really good and they're all fun to watch...there is nothing to not like.

then afterwards i watched stan sign things for people and got told i look like joan jett by one of the girls talking to him, and stan butted in "cuter than joan jett." aw shucks you guys. he introduced me to the bass player and drummer as "the good chloe." apparently there is a bad one. i didn't get the story on that. when i told him i was leaving, he gave me a big hug and said he hoped he'd see me again. i hope so too.

-------------------------------------------

and now, for a public service announcement:
i have one complaint about this show, which has nothing to do with the band or the venue or anything. just this: i went to the show by myself and some nice gentleman thought that meant i needed some kind of friend/bodyguard for the night. i know you mean well, guys, when you do this. but please: don't. the hovering over me all night made me feel weird. he kept sitting next to me, but that empty seat was for stan when he wasn't off doing other stuff. at first i didn't mind. but it just didn't end. and then, because i'm too nice, i can't just tell them to beat it. so i'm stuck standing around with some dude that i don't even know that well. and when someone i don't know is just hovering behind me during the show, it makes me really self conscious. and when guys are moshing in front of me, and bumping into me? i don't need you to reach out and protect me from them. i mean, if there's a gorilla of a guy hurtling towards me, sure, jump in, because i'd go down like a wet noodle in that case. seriously though, i'm small but i can take care of myself. that's why i do this shit BY MYSELF in the first place. i got stuck standing in a place where i couldn't really see and felt like i was being watched all night. really uncomfortable. so that's that. if you're at a show and see someone by themselves, remember: that might be how they want it to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment