17 October 2013

breakups suck even when it wasn't a real relationship. yes this still has to do with music.

i wasn't dumped, technically, because we were never officially boyfriend/girlfriend, but a few days ago i got the "i can't be in a relationship right now" talk from the guy i'd been dating. it was mostly just his own issues and really nothing to do with me but it never feels good to be on the receiving end of that shit.

here are the reasons i shouldn't be upset:

1. he didn't know who marc bolan/t.rex was before he met me. he still doesn't really get it.
2. he can't name all the original members of kiss, let alone anyone else who was ever in the band. and forget about identifying who is who by the makeup.
3. he doesn't like the beatles.
4. we were at a bar one of the first times we hung out and he didn't know it was motley crue on the jukebox.
5. he also didn't know it was judas priest on the jukebox.
6. i could probably sum this up much easier by saying this: he usually has no idea who i'm talking about; certain names he came to recognize, like hugh cornwell, but i've had to explain who clem burke is more than once. and like when i saw david johansen, i had to say "david johansen...the singer of the new york dolls...they were a band from new york in the 70s...like a trashy glam rock and roll band...they influenced like, literally, everybody...johnny thunders? sylvain sylvain? no? ok." have you ever tried explaining the difference between bon scott ac/dc and brian johnson ac/dc to someone who doesn't know who either of those men are? how can i talk about the time i was in steve garvey's basement if you don't know why he's important? you know what i mean, right?
7. i suggested he start collecting vinyl with a nice used copy of london calling that got traded in where i work. and he said that london calling and neon bible by arcade fire would be the only records worth owning. nothing else matters. that actually physically hurt me when i read that (this was all via text or email or something while i was at work). i guess if you don't collect vinyl you don't understand, but can you imagine saying that to another person who is very proud of her vinyl collection and works at a fucking record store?

side note: yes. he loved the clash. he has tattoos on his arms symbolizing the song "death or glory." his favorite. also my favorite. so that sucks.

there were a lot of awesome things about him. like the day i went to my pain in the ass ex-boyfriend's mom's funeral and was in a daze the rest of the day. he noticed something was wrong and checked on me later which was a good thing because i left work and was just driving around aimlessly, crying, like a fucking crazy person. he didn't have a lot of money to waste on gas, but he drove out to find me and sat with me in his car and let me cry and hugged me and told me it would be ok. he also likes my cats. and my cats like him. that is a big deal. and while he almost never knew what i was talking about, he was ALWAYS willing to listen and learn from me. also, he knows a lot of weird facts about random shit and brings that stuff up in conversation which makes talking to him a lot of fun. i should have written this part first because now i'm all bummed out again. let me go back over my list...

i guess what i'm really trying to say is that i came home and listened to hurt me by johnny thunders and drank some wine my sister shared with me because she knew i was sad and now i feel a little better.



by the time the next show i'm going to comes around i'll be my usual fun unstoppable self, so look out.

ps - it'll probably end up being the dickies at the brighton bar next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment