16 October 2014

joan jett!

august 2- clearfield county fair

before i write about this: you have to understand how much i love joan jett. i know a lot of people love her. i'm not saying i love her more than they do. but, similar to my reasons for loving debbie harry so much, she's this awesome female role model for a chick in a band (which is what i am). she really paved the way for us. she's an important person. plus people tell me i look like her all the time (especially at this show...oh man. i have some fun stories).

so, joan jett played philadelphia with roger daltrey but ticket prices were out of control so we decided driving out to clearfield county aka bumblefuck, pa would be a better idea. the website for the county fair promised performances by buffo, the world's strongest clown, which sounded pretty exciting. sadly we missed all the buffo shows. i guess seeing joan jett kinda made up for it.


before the show even started, we were standing there in front of the the stage when this woman said to me "my husband and i thought you were actually joan jett at first!" and i laughed and said thanks or something. then the husband started talking to me and saying how much i look like her and ended up taking a picture with me so he could show his friends tomorrow, as though he had actually met her. somewhere out there, there is a picture of this guy with me...i'm sure his friends will see right through it but i let him have his fun.

then there were some announcements from some beauty pageant winners, which struck me as kind of funny, and then joan and her band came out!

man she looks fantastic. not just physically (although that too, i mean LOOK AT HER):


no, what i'm talking about is her energy; her happiness; her stage presence.


not too long before this show, my friend texted me one morning to say joan jett was on preston and steve. i leaped out of bed (which NEVER happens) to turn the radio on and listen. besides the fact that she is THE COOLEST, the one thing that struck me from the interview was her answer to one of the questions, which was "how do you keep playing the same songs every night?" the song they were referring to was "i love rock and roll," and they estimated that she's probably played it thousands of times. her answer was that all she has to do is look out to the audience and see how much they enjoy it, how it means something different to each person out there, and it makes it easy. she's thankful to have a song that is so connected to people. seriously, that is so fucking cool. i love her so much.


anyway, the show. she opened with "bad reputation" and i don't know about you but that song really makes me feel things. i don't care how much you think it's overplayed or whatever; the message in that song is my favorite. then straight into "cherry bomb." i like that she still does runaways songs, too. then "do you wanna touch me." but rather than regale you with each song she played in order, i can just send you to the set list and you can see for yourself. before they went into "you drive me wild" she talked about how it was the first song she ever wrote. AWWWW. so cute. "crimson & clover" gave me goosebumps and "i hate myself for loving you" is like the best fucking anthem song ever. and, yes, she sang "i love rock and roll." of course she did. and the crowd loved it.






but yeah then a bunch of people after the show thought i was her, which was weird for multiple reasons. like, she was just up on stage, we all saw her. my hair is clearly longer than hers. i was wearing something completely different. also, i'm 28 and she's 56. granted, she looks fucking great for her age, but she does look a tad older than 28. didn't stop an old drunk man from hugging me and telling me he's loved me since he was little. this other guy shook my hand and told me it was a great show and thanked me. SO WEIRD. then we wandered around the fair for a while after the show (mostly so i could pet the cows and goats and stuff because they're the cutest) and people stared the whole night. good stuff. hey, if people are going to confuse me with any rock star, i'm glad it's joan jett.

No comments:

Post a Comment