14 July 2013

the dictators (nyc)

hello. this is my brain on 2.5 hours of sleep.

so, once again, the brighton bar pulled through and booked the fucking dictators. it's the dictators nyc because it's not technically the actual dictators, but it does consist of ross the boss and god damn motherfucking handsome dick manitoba. he's so fucking cool, you guys. well, anyway, i drove for 2 hours to go to this show. the girl that sylvain was talking to (remember when i said he was holding her hand while she was talking? and i was just sitting there? yeah, that girl) met up with me there (yeah we're facebook friends now what of it...but she said she would get me a cheap ticket in advance and also she's like really awesome) and introduced me to a dude in one of the opening bands (they were rad as well but i will get to that) and then we went in and hung out at the bar together. we talked forever and she said she'll come to philly for a show sometime. she actually didn't let me pay her back for the ticket because she was so impressed that i drove so far just for a show. i guess that's not a thing that people do much anymore but i don't like letting things escape me so i just fucking do it. i pay the consequences, for sure, but it's always worth it. she also bought me a shot because she wanted me to have a good time. as if i wasn't going to already! but yeah. so i was reintroduced to the bottle of fireball whiskey. we meet again, you delicious bastard. wait where was i? so we're hanging out and the first band starts playing and they were really awesome but i forget the name. then it was the disconnects which is the band that guy was in that she introduced me to. she warned me that they would be my new band crush and she was 100% right. it's kind of rare to find little local bands that kick as much ass and are having as much fun as those guys are so definitely check them out. he was like deep throating the microphone which is always a good time. and then frankenstein 3000 but you know i like those guys already, right? indeed. and meanwhile i am getting introduced to a ton of people because this chick knows everyone! and some other dude bought me a shot. i was like COME ON PEOPLE I HAVE TO DRIVE HOME but ok.

------------------------

wow, that is really rambly; sorry about that, but it pretty much gives you an idea of how exhausted i was that night. that's as far as i got friday night/saturday morning with talking about the show before i was like "oh shit i have to wake up in a couple of hourszzzzzzzzzzzz" so i will continue this now. except everything is really fuzzy because i didn't sleep much and i went to another show last night (which i will write about in a separate post of course). what i do remember is that the dictators are really just a fucking great rock and roll band. and you know, handsome dick manitoba is the man. i remember they did "the party starts now," "i stand tall," "who will save rock and roll," "baby let's twist" (that might be my favorite...), "faster & louder," and, of course, "two tub man." i would have been so sad if they didn't do that one! fun fact: i like to sing that song to my sister, although i'm not entirely sure how that started, and it doesn't really make sense to sing it to her. i just like that it confuses her i suppose. we'll be out shopping and i'll just be like "iiiiii drink coca cola for breakfast!!!" and she just rolls her eyes at me. the crowd was really into it, everyone was jumping and singing along and it was really just a good time. probably the most fun i've had in a while. they sounded great. i'm so glad i went.




i know these pictures are terrible, but i'm sharing anyway. they're still fun to look at.

so after the show, i saw my friend and his wife, the ones that i stood in the stranglers vip line with, and he offered to take my picture with handsome dick for me. so, i went over and asked him for a picture, and he said absolutely, and he put his arm around me. i mean, HE PUT HIS FUCKING ARM AROUND ME. it was unlike any other arm i've ever had around me. ever. my friend took the picture and dick says "i'm sorry, my paternal instinct kicked in." no kidding, man, he was squashing me so hard but it felt incredible. i have been told i've never looked as happy as i do in this picture, so there's that.



also the dude from the disconnects hooked me up with a 7", a t-shirt, and a sticker. and also a cassette and a button; i don't remember him giving those to me, but i guess he did? well, anyway, he rules and his band is my new band crush. so there you go.

ok, so then more stuff happened. i was talking to people and whatever and then i wanted to buy a dictators shirt, so i went over to the table and asked about a shirt. it had cleared out a bit by that point, i think, so it was a little less crazy. first, dick asked me "is that bela lugosi on your shirt?" and i was like hell yeah, man. and he seemed to approve. neat! so then the guy at the table with him was bitching about all the tank tops that they had, because no one buys them apparently. so i said "i'll buy one of those if it will make you happy." and the dude said "YES" so i said "gimme a small." and the dude said "dick will sign it for you, too." you know what dick says? "sure, i'll sign it, but only if you put it on first." HA! so i was like, ok, i'll go change in the bathroom i guess. because i'm not taking my shirt off in a bar. i came back out and he looked super happy and he wrote my name and HDM underneath. then i started talking to him about doing a show at the record store i work at. he ended up giving me his email address, so, you know, BOOYA. then the girl i was there with came over and we all talked a bit about whatever.

then i drove home. and i got home around 5:30am. normally i wouldn't care but i had to work in the morning. so i got 2ish hours of sleep. i would have taken saturday morning off, but i already took off friday night so i could go to the show in the first place. ah well. these are the sacrifices i make; totally worth it! go check out handsome dick anytime you get a chance. i wanna hang out with him all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment