04 April 2013

glen & sylvain part 2

alright, so i went to see glen matlock and sylvain sylvain again tonight. last night. what day is it? i don't fucking know. don't judge me. it was the best decision i made all day and i didn't even decide. my friend knew i wanted to go and talked me into it; he was interested in it too because i got him into the new york dolls so he was curious to see the sylvain solo gig. i wasn't going to go because it meant leaving early from work, and i had already showed up super late so i felt bad leaving early, but luckily i have a very understanding boss who gets how important these dudes are to me. also you can read part 1 of my glen/syl adventures if you click here.

yeah- so i'm delirious right now but i wanted to write everything i remember right now before i sleep and forget everything. also my friend was buying me beers all night; i don't think there was a time when i wasn't drinking so i was kind of wasted by the end of the night. i'm sure there is a ton of stuff i'm not remembering and i just hope i didn't come off like a drunken idiot. anyway, at one point early on sylvain walked past me and squeezed my arm and said "hey! it's good to see you!" and it broke my brain. good to see me? sylvain said that? who am i? what's going on? he stopped and talked to me again before he went onstage and was talking to me like i'm an important person. which, let's face it, i'm not, but whatever. he can think that, i'm not going to stop him.

ok, so sylvain takes the stage and does a lot of the same stuff as before, but you know what? it was just as good. NO. better than before. i think it was a combination of the venue being really rad (this was at the brighton bar, by the way) and the drinking. he covered "femme fatale" again and did "you can't put your arms around a memory" and fucking "TRASH" again!!! fuck yeah. he played that one last, and the end went on for a really long time and it was amazing. also i love it when he does his johnny thunders imitation. sylvain is seriously the coolest and anyone who disagrees can fight me.

so then glen took the stage and again, did a lot of the same stuff, but i actually enjoyed his set more than i did the last time, somehow. he did the same sex pistols songs, the same rich kids songs, the same scott walker song, the monkees, etc. my friend knew nothing about him going into the show and was really impressed, and kept going on about how cool his voice is. i'm so glad he came with me because no one else i know appreciates this shit like i do, but he gets it. and glen is THE MAN. he has such an undeniable stage presence; if you haven't seen him, you're missing out.

and then they did a few songs together. they did showdown again, and personality crisis, and fucking dedicated follower of fashion! and in some kind of special effort to kill me with happiness (which almost succeeded) they covered a t.rex song. not my favorite, as it was "bang a gong" but can i tell you what it was like watching sylvain and glen sing marc bolan right in front of me? i can't tell you. because there are no words. as they left the stage, the guy that sylvain had playing bass for him stopped and said to me "i thought you were joan jett!"

and that, my friends, is the greatest compliment of them all.

by that time i was ready to retire into the happy punk rock kids home because i didn't think anything could ever top that. EVER. and then i went up to say something to sylvain because i love him obviously and he did that thing where he squeezed my arm again, and i turned into jelly, and he said "i need your help." I NEED YOUR HELP. SYLVAIN, MY HELP, HE NEEDS IT. he gave me his guitar. HE GAVE ME HIS GUITAR. I CARRIED SYLVAIN'S GUITAR. we went over to the bar and he wanted to sit with me. so i sat with him. and we talked. and i had his guitar standing next to me and i was leaning on it the whole time. i ended up not talking to him that much because all of the other fans came up and were talking to him and he didn't ignore anybody, which i really admire. i love that. he held this one girl's hand the entire time she was talking to him. how sweet is that? one thing i do remember him saying to me was "so, do you play music too?" and i said "yeah. well, kind of. i'm a drummer. i don't know if that really counts." and he said "i thought so, you have that look." that's a pretty great thing to have anyone say to you, let alone the guitar player from the fucking new york dolls. oh, so he offered me sips of his drinks. one of them was a shot of whiskey, it's called fireball? i don't like whiskey but i tried it because when sylvain looks at you and says "you gotta try this" well... you gotta try it. and it tasted exactly like those candies, atomic fireballs, you know those really hot things? yeah. anyway...uh...where was i? oh yeah, DRINKING OUT OF SYLVAIN'S SHOT GLASS. NO BIG DEAL OR ANYTHING. yeah... so glen came over at some point and said hello, and i was like "i was at the allentown show the other week," and he said "i know, i recognized you from that." AHHH YOU DID?? THAT'S SO COOL OH MY GOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY NOW... i actually have no idea what i said to him then... probably something really stupid/embarrassing. i think he asked where i'm from or something. my boss wanted me to ask him if that jizzing in the sandwich story is true but i couldn't bring myself to do it. so then sylvain and his bassist were talking about the t.rex song, or maybe my friend brought it up to them, and they said how glen didn't want to do it for some reason and i butted in that i was so glad they did do it and i pointed out that i was wearing a t.rex shirt. then i told sylvain that i saw him at the marc bolan tribute show a million years ago, in new york, with clem burke drumming and he was like "oh yeah! you were there? wasn't i good?" hahahaha. i love him.

then i guess they were leaving so he wanted me to "help" him carry his guitar outside. i don't think i did...i think my friend grabbed the case from me...probably for the better at that point. so we get out to their car and i finally buy a book from glen but i don't have enough money for a cd too, and you know what he says? "don't worry about it, you can pay me back next time."
WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO FUCKING COOL I CAN'T STAND IT
so we said goodbye to them and that was basically it. i don't know if anything can ever top this. i mean, drinking sips of sylvain's shots and talking about marc bolan and glen remembering me and all of that...it's just too much for me. excuse me while i slip into a sleepy/happy coma. i really hope i wake up in time for work tomorrow. fingers crossed...




No comments:

Post a Comment